Sunday, March 20, 2011

Accountable Kids



I have been doing the accountable kids program with my kids for a little over a month.  Basically, the program teaches kids to be responsible in a fun way.  It gives kids control in a system where they learn to balance their choices and consequences. 

The program is introduced over the course of four weeks implementing steps each week so it is not too overwhelming.  In Step One, kids learn to take care of personal responsibilities without constant direction. The first peg on their board holds their 'core' chores- the chores that they are responsible for every day.  As soon as their chores for a time period are done they receives a ticket. Each ticket can be redeemed for something they like to do like watching television or playing on the computer.
 
In Step Two we introduced the Privilege Pass. This is to eliminate certain negative behavior. It helps kids predict consequences and follow rules.   We also introduced the Special Date Card.  This Card allows children to work for future rewards while also enhancing parent/child relationships.
 
In Step Three we introduced Extra Chores. These are chores that are not their responsibility every day but are things they can do to earn money. We give them a bonus buck for each chore and then at the end of the week we give them 50 cents in exchange for each bonus buck. 
 
In Step Four we introduced a Family Forum and Quiet Time.  This is a time to discuss any problems in the family and also focus on personal time with the quiet time.
 
I have seen many benefits from using this program.  My kids love the structure of it and I love the flexibility  of it.  I can easily adapt it to meet our families needs.  It is also fun to see my kids realize that they have responsibilities and that they are not entitled to everything.
 
I would give this program 4 out 5 stars.  It is a great program that I think can work for any family.  I also like that everything is provided for you.
 
If you want to learn more about their program you can visit their website at http://www.accountablekids.com/
 

No comments:

Post a Comment